Do your best to avoid spending your holiday on the toilet:
• Make sure that water and ice come from a purified water source i.e. bottled water. Ice should come from ice machines that use purified water; most of these small bugs can survive sub-zero temperatures.
• Wash and peel fruit before eating (make sure the water is clean too).
• Watch out for ice creams.
• Avoid shellfish if you can or if you aren’t sure if it is properly cooked, as this can easily lead to stomach problems.
• A simple and tested method is to see if a restaurant is well-frequented. If it is, it will hopefully give you an indication that the restaurant is careful with its hygiene and cooking. A popular restaurant is often a good one.
• Wash your hands frequently and use a hand sanitizer, especially before eating. Remember that children’s hands get everywhere and may bring bacteria to the table.